Standing sentinel in the City Park is one of Wamego’s best known landmarks – the Schonhoff Dutch Mill. The mill, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was originally located 12 miles north of Wamego. Built in the 1870s, a young immigrant named John Schonhoff used it to grind grain until the late 1880s. In 1924, the mill was dismantled, each stone was numbered, and it was all moved into town using 35 horse-drawn wagons, where it was reconstructed in the City Park. It is located next to the Historical Society Museum in City Park (4th St, 2 blocks east of downtown). Tours of the mill are available.
For more information
Contact the Wamego Historical Society at (785) 456-2040